Wednesday, July 21, 2004

On Letting Go

On Letting Go

One of the more real things in this world is the fact that sooner or later, we will have to let go of something. For our first encounter with the concept of finality it shouldn't be even the loss of a bestfriend, a relationship or (Heaven forbid) a loved one in the family.

My first tears were shed for a pair of electric blue Mighty Kid® shoes.

I can clearly remember that time. I was about 5 years old and I remember asking my yaya where my favorite pair of shoes were while she was trying to put on the new pair my parents bought for me. It just suddenly dawned on me that I didn't want a new pair. I wanted my electric blues. And when she told me she couldn't find it, I cried my heart out. That was probably my first memory of crying over something material.

By the way, I found my Mighty Kids® that same day. When my mom led me to the dusty old cabinet we had in the library, I saw my shoes and I couldn't help but notice that they weren't as shiny as before. Its colors seemed to pale in comparison to the new pair that I had. I tried them on and they fit like a glove. Everything was perfect but sooner I had to let go.

In our lives we have people we seem to can't let go of. More often that not, these are borne out of our own choice to keep the routine going; to pretend that everything else is fine because we had wonderful memories together. Sometimes, it is because we love the person so much that we cannot bear to picture life without that person. But eventually, when you step away from all the chaos; when you're already seated at the balcony, you view a different perspective that wasn't at all possible before.

That's when you know that you probably had enough. Or maybe the time given to the two of you is already up.

For some people like me, I see a worn-out pair of shoes that won't be able to support my feet because underneath its dulling color, the sole is already breaking. And to walk with them would certainly bring more calluses to my already blistered heels.




Letting go is such a hard thing to do. But for some people, it becomes more of a necessity than an alternative. Sometimes, we just have to let the wounds heal and go on our separate ways and hope against hope that one day, we find ourselves face to face with our past. This time, with clearer minds; this time with the maturity that time ultimately brings.

6 comments:

Zeus said...

Yeah, I think this is one of my better entries. I just got to thinking that it's something everybody goes through. There's a finality to it and sometimes, we just can't bear to face the fact that we're actually "moving on".

Damn, reality's harsh.

PinoyMonkey said...

Don't let go.. dude..

Zeus said...

Who you, Pinoymonkey? =)

Zeus said...

Who you, Pinoymonkey? =)

Anonymous said...

i know how you feel. for me letting go is like cutting off a part of my heart and god knows the sentimental bitch that i am hates to let go of people i hold dear. i remember making a post about how the color of memory is always blue because it brings you back to a time and place of happiness that you cannot bring back. now, i try to make sure that if something changes the way i am with a person (like lovers deciding to become just friends or breaking up with someone), i try to make sure that somehow we still have some kind of bond and i try to make sure they're still part of my life by celebrating a friendhip-versary with them, just to remind us of what we had then and how lucky we are still now...

wytchgurl

Zeus said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts, wytchgurl. :) isn't it hard to do, y'know having your ex's as your friends?