Monday, July 19, 2004

My Dependence on Despair

My Dependence on Despair

Before anything else, let me make it clear that this is not another one of those sad posts that I normally make.

I was going through some of the poems that I made before and most, if not all, of them share only two themes: love and sadness. I find it very fascinating that people write the most beautiful lines when they feel these two emotions. In my case, I think some of my better poems were made when I was down; when I was nearing the brink.

I am just relieved that I have an outlet in writing. I never thought it would bring me a sense of peace and a security of sorts.

Expressing myself through writing has always been my therapy. Even though I despair most of the time, I’m still thankful that I have so much to write about. Life is all about attitude I guess. Everybody needs to have their perspectives made over. I hope this is the start.

                                            "Before the Slumber"
                                               by Zeus Martinez

                              I speak of a thousand heartbreaks.
                              I claim the sadness of the world.
                              and for the briefest of Eternities,
                              the tears start to fall.

                              And in the descent of water and salt
                              I find the union of hope and despair.
                              My eyes gaze upon the clear sky
                              which bades dark hues from afar.

                              I sing the saddest of songs
                              while caught in the dirge of innumerables
                              lazily making their way down the earth.
                              I am soaked but I am still thirsty.

                              It seems that I am otherwise trapped
                              in this fleeting melancholy
                              and I cannot wait to break free
                              to manage a faint smile before I sleep.

Like I said, the better ones were made when I was down. I guess for some people, inspiration will only come with tribulation.

No comments: