Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Things We Own End Up Owning Us

The Things We Own End Up Owning Us

After 4 years, 3 months and 21 days I finally got a new (and much better) phone for myself. It's the one I've always wanted ever since I saw it online. I had to sell off about P19k worth of Magic cards but it was worth it.

And get this: it's a colored display phone. ^_^

6630
A portrait of my 6630.


6630

Another attempt at a creative shot



I never really banked on getting myself a new phone this year because this was something that I didn't really have money for. So I sold off some of my precious Magic The Gathering cards and got myself the Nokia unit that I liked. Coming to this decision and actually pushing through with it was such a liberating feeling because for the longest time I felt that my hobby was something that I couldn't let go of. Even though that game might seem trivial, it was a part of me that I really wanted to let go of. When I was walking away from the shop I sold my cards to, I felt a sense of peace that I've honestly never felt before. I was finally able to let go of something material that I had grown attached to and it felt good---even if they were just pieces of cardboards. In the process, I was able to get the phone that I really wanted and that was a big plus for me.

I hope this phone lasts me for as long as it can. It literally is a symbol of my letting go of the hobby that I had for 10 years. But more importantly, it helped me let go of some of the material things in my life. Four or five years from now I honestly want it to still be here with me as a memory of the day I let go of something dear to my heart and gained something more precious in return.

No comments: