Monday, March 21, 2005

The Endless

The Endless
by Zeus Martinez

I am the song of mermaids amidst the raging storm.
I am that thirst that is never quenched.
I am that which goes by the name of avarice.
Look for me in the things of beauty and grace and you shall find me.
And if you pass me by without pause for notice, I will reveal your longing for me.
In due time, you shall see my fair-skinned face.

Desire

I am the desolate and the desperate.
I am that fleeting moment of hope that dies in the wind.
I am that 11th hour that never comes.
Look for me in the frowns that adorn the faces of the lost and there I will be.
Wherever you are, I shall walk by and stay.
And maybe wink at you for the irony of it all.

Despair

I am the eclectic and the insane—madness in its purest form.
I am that thin line between the genius of virtuosos and the lunacy of fools
I am those pair of eyes you see across the padded room.
Look for me in the imaginary and the colorful sounds.
I will cover you in a blanket of delusion and derangement.
And we shall embrace each other until nightfall.

Delirium

I am the crumbling pillars under ivory towers.
I am that tsunami silently creeping towards the shore.
I am the sound of the crashes of a million crests and troughs.
Look for me in a dying star a million light years away.
I shall tear down the mountains and devour the land.
For I live and breathe on the sheer force of nature.

Destruction

I am the unchangeable constant.
I am that gift of predetermined bliss and ruin.
I am that goal you never let go of; the drive that will never falter.
Look for me in the hearts of the proud and determined.
I will give you no other choice except this page that I have for you.
I will show you where to go and how to get there.

Destiny

I am the haze that fogs your mind.
I am that undefined story; the brush of memory and clairvoyance.
I am that nightmare you feed every night.
Look for me when you close your eyes and drift off to slumber.
For I have wonderful, twisted stories to show and tell.
And they will be our little secret to keep.

Dream

I am that last 21 grams.
I am that last hopeful breath flowing out of your body.
I am that split-second flash that rides on the hinges of disaster.
Look for me everywhere and around you.
I am here to stay and stay I will.
Hear me whisper, for I am coming to visit you.

Death



I wrote this with the intent to personify poetry. I wanted to be able to describe how poetry encompasses all things and all emotions. This is what I came up with: a tribute to Neil Gaiman's Endless.

Which Endless are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

2 comments:

KV said...

Nice poem...

Zeus said...

Thank you.