Monday, July 05, 2004

24 Years Later

24 Years Later

Yesterday was a different birthday for me.

When I was a teenager of 15 years, I never really thought that 9 years later I'd end up spending my special day with only two of the most special people in my life. To those two, you know who you are. And I thank you for washing away the tears that shouldn't have come and for giving me strength in that day of mixed feelings.

I should have had more than two guests but the hand of God moved and all I could do was watch. You realize that you really do not have any control over anything.

Even over a simple invitation and get-together with your closest and dearest.

A lot of things happened that day.

Some people forgot to greet me while some surprised me.

I guess the saddest part of my 24th birthday isn't the fact that I only had 2 people present out of the 6 invited guests. I am secure with the fact that those four people who couldn't come wish me well. The saddest part was probably the fact that my dad never greeted me Happy Birthday.

Not even a hug or a pat on the shoulder saying: "Ilang taon ka na?"

Absolutely no recognition.

Of course I still cried. But a lot of things made up for it.

1. Anj's chocolate cake - hands down the best chocolate cake I've tasted. EVER!
2. Jom and KV's video surprise for me. - I can't believe I've been had! :)
3. The various text messages during the day.
4. Mommy being the one to greet me first in my family.
5. My sisters and brother greeting me after getting inside the car.

It wasn't entirely happy at all. But whoever said that it was supposed to be like that anyway?

To all the people who greeted me. Thank you very much!

No comments: